Derby Uni students are lucky enough to have the chance to take part in a student exchange programme called Erasmus. It allows students who are studying at the University of Derby the opportunity to study abroad in a choice of 33 countries! It is an ideal experience for a Tourism student as it will broaden your knowledge and gain some really great cultural experiences. Two girls from my course have just gone to Hungary for the semester to study for a couple of months and they love it! If I didn’t have prior commitments I would have loved to have jet off to study abroad!
Why take part in ERASMUS?
- Money won’t hold you back! You receive an additional grant allowing you pay towards your accommodation abroad whilst still paying for your tuition fees in the UK. You don’t pay anything extra to the hosting university, it’s all covered. All you will need is the flights and some spending money whilst you are there to enjoy the country and go out with your new friends.
- It is open to ALL students! You can take part in ERASMUS no matter what your degree or whether you are in your first or second year. You will take identical or similar modules to your course in the UK so there is no need to panic that you will be missing out or delaying your course, you will receive the same amount of credits!
- All lectures are taught in English! You won’t have to brush up on your French or German, as the lectures that you attend will be in English, and all lecturers will assist you in English. Phew!
- You have a choice of 33 countries to choose from in the EU! From Poland to Hungary, Cyprus to Italy, there is a broad range to choose from!
- It looks fantastic on your CV! To boast that you have studied in a foreign country looks great to future employers as it shows a range of skills and experiences. It demonstrates that you are not afraid of a challenge or getting out of your comfort zone.
- It is available for 12-24 weeks! Whether you want to try it out for a little while or a bit longer, the programme is flexible so you choose how long you want to study abroad.
- There is always someone to talk to! You will have full support from the International Student Advisor up at Buxton and will have access to talk to your faculty coordinator whenever you like to answer any queries.
So if travel and new cultures are a passion of yours, why not give ERASMUS a thought and have a chat about it with someone when you arrive at Derby University!